Ingredients for the filling
250g Soya mince (dry) Soak in boiling water for 10 minutes
250g Brown Lentils
15ml Coriander powder
15ml All spice
2 Medium onions Finely chopped
250ml Roasted almonds Roughly chopped
30ml Apricot jam
50ml Lemon juice
5ml Mixed herbs
35ml Curry powder
20ml Sea Salt
20ml Oil sunflower
3 Bay leaves
800g Italian tomatoes Blended
1 Cup Vegetable stock liquid
• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
• Mix all the spices in a small bowl (Coriander, allspice, curry powder and turmeric) set aside.
• Heat the oil in a thick-base pot.
• Sauté the onion until soft and glassy then add soy mince and lentils and sauté further for about five minutes.
• Add the spice mix and cook for about two-three minutes
• Add the semi blended Italian tomatoes
• Add two bay leaves
• Add the chopped almonds
• Add the mixed herbs
• Lemon juice
• Add the Jam and chutney
• Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes
• Add Sea salt to taste
• Cook to reduce sauce.
• Add to the Baking dish
• Blend two blocks of Chinese tofu in a food processor. (Chinese tofu is much softer and easier to spread)
• Add 1 tablespoon turmeric.
• Add 2 tablespoon soya sauce
• Add salt to taste
• Add 1 teaspoon English mustard
• Add to the top of the bobotie.
• Place a bay leaf in the middle on to for garnish and bake for 30 minutes or until done.