750g Green/brown lentils
750ml Coconut milk
100ml Lime/lemon juice
1 tbsp Lime rind Grate the skin for zest
4 Onions large Cut into boats
6 Red chilies Finely chopped and de-seeded
4 tbsp Chopped garlic
3 x 2.5cm Ginger root Peel and grate
15 Cardamom pods Crushed
10 tsp Cumin seeds
10 tsp Fennel seeds
10 tsp Turmeric
3 tsp Sea salt
1.5lt Veg stock liquid
8 tsp Fenugreek powder
• Cook the lentils until soft but firm and set aside
• Slice the onion into thin boat shapes
• Heat the pot (no oil) and add cardamom, cumin, fennel and coriander for dry roasting. 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat. Allow to cool and crush in the pestle and mortar
• Place oil in a pot and heat.
• Add the onions and fry until brown and dark on the edges.
• Turn the heat down.
• Now add the chili, garlic, ginger and lime zest and stir
• Add the turmeric and fenugreek.
• Add the crushed dry roasted spices.
• Stir everything together.
• Stir in the lentils
• Add the coconut milk
• Add the stock
• Simmer for 45 minutes